Tuesday, January 25, 2011

State of the Union

"Along with others, he began drilling a 2,000 foot hole into the ground, working three or four days at a time with no sleep. Thirty-seven days later, Plan B succeeded, and the miners were rescued. But because he didn’t want all of the attention, Brandon wasn’t there when the miners emerged. He had already gone home, back to work on his next project.

Later, one of his employees said of the rescue, “We proved that Center Rock is a little company, but we do big things.”

We do big things.

From the earliest days of our founding, America has been the story of ordinary people who dare to dream. That’s how we win the future.

We are a nation that says, “I might not have a lot of money, but I have this great idea for a new company. I might not come from a family of college graduates, but I will be the first to get my degree. I might not know those people in trouble, but I think I can help them, and I need to try. I’m not sure how we’ll reach that better place beyond the horizon, but I know we’ll get there. I know we will.”

We do big things."
- President Obama in the 2011 State of the Union 


Well said, Mr. President. Let's hope that doing big things will carry the day in Congress. Because it's been a while since we've done a First Transcontinental Railroad, or an Interstate Highway System, or an Apollo Program. And we could really use some fresh "big things".

No comments:

Post a Comment